Friday, October 1, 2010

Overworked, Overcrowded

There's something about a town that draws you to it- the people, the weather, the job opportunities, the sanctity or even the familiarity.

I gave myself many of these reasons when I chose to work in Bombay instead of Dubai, causing my whole family to uproot their lives in Dubai, only to start a new one in Bombay.

At the time I thought it would be great. My only apprehension was the fact that I would have to live with my parents after 3 years of living on my own, doing whatever I wanted. But I'd adjust.

What I didn't think about was the population...the overcrowding...the close proximity at which you always find people around you.

Bombay is a populated city for sure-over populated rather! A ride in the local trains during peak hours can give you an idea of just how many people this city is infested with- those clawing to hang on, those fighting to get out, those heaving a sigh of relief that they have a place to sit, those burrowing their way through the masses, those hopping from one compartment to the next selling everything from clips to books to clothes and of course those you see outside as your train trudges on.

I've heard people say that our population is our strength; definitely! After all it takes the utmost of strength to just push through the crowd to get on with your day.

And if you thought that what you see on the local trains is a rough estimate of the crowd, think again! During the same peaks hours, people in their cars are travelling on jam-packed roads.

So what do I do about it? Well on some days I put a smile on my face, swear that nothing, or rather no one can get me down, and just trudge on. And on others? Well, let's just say there's frustration...and a hunger for a license to kill.

1 comments:

Rhea said...

I think you should write more. So I can read more :)

Post a Comment